A fit and a healthy body is the ultimate bliss and gaining & maintaining it is my resolution for the new year!
As we step in the new year, we make many promises, some superficial some purposeful. And this year, health being my high priority, I decided to welcome the new year with a healthy cake.
It doesn’t look like a celebration cake but is full of flavours and with goodness of wholemeal and jaggery!! And yes, it’s EGGLESS!
Before I move on to the recipe of upside down apple cake with wholemeal and palm jaggery, I wish you all a very happy, joyful, prosperous and healthy New year!
Lets welcome the year which is fresh and new,
Lets cherish each moment it beholds,
Lets celebrate this blissful new year.
Let’s say hello to good health!
Ok, let’s talk about this cake now.
Apples having numerous health benefits, justify the old phrase “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away”! Who doesn’t like to bite into a juicy and crunchy apple? But for a change, we can add this to our cakes too ?
Another healthy ingredient of this recipe is Palm jaggery or Nolen gur. Palm jaggery is one of the healthy sugar substitutes available which is rich in nutrients and helps in digestion.
This recipe is my adaptation from Veg Recipes of India. The cake is soft, mild sweet and completely guilt-free. If you want to make it vegan, then just substitute the milk with almond milk/soy milk/coconut milk/water. Though the original recipe uses water, I prefer milk as it enhances the flavour.
How to make upside down Apple cake with palm jaggery
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
Baking equipment used: 7″ round cake tin
For the apple layer you need :
300 grams or 2 apples, peeled cored & sliced
A cherry, optional
2 tablespoons dermerara sugar/brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Few drops of lemon juice
For the batter you need :
100 gram or 1 cup jaggery(gur), grated
250 ml or 1 cup milk
1/4 cup sunflower oil or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 teaspoon lemon juice
150 grams or 1 cup wholemeal flour(aata)
65 gram or 1/2 cup plain flour(maida)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/fan-assisted 160 C/350 F/gas 4.
- Grease and line a 7″ round tin.
- Now we will prepare the tin for apple layer. Decorate the middle with a cherry. Sprinkle some sugar on the base. This will give a nice golden colour to our cake.
- Scatter the apple pieces (or in pattern) in one layer. Sprinkle a little sugar and make another layer. (You can add all the pieces in layers but I find the top becomes really heavy. So I use only 3/4th of an apple to make the base. Chop rest of the pieces finely and add it to the batter.)
- Once you have layered all the apple slices, sprinkle remaining sugar, cinnamon powder and some lemon juice all over. (you can sprinkle cinnamon powder on every layer if you want.) Keep the pan aside.
- In a bowl, add jaggery, milk, vanilla extract and oil. Mix them together. Add remaining apple pieces(finely chopped) if you have not used it for making base.
- Add 2 teaspoon lemon juice and leave for couple of minutes. You will see bubbles on the surface.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, shift both the flours with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt.
- Add the jaggery solution to the dry ingredients. Mix well so that no lumps are remaining.
- Mix it well and pour the batter in your cake tin with apple layer in.
- Tap the tin on your counter top to release any air bubbles trapped in the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- It cracks a little on the top which I don’t mind as the cake has to be upside down 🙂
- Leave it to cool down completely before you gorge on this yummy scrummy cake.
Doesn’t it look pretty?
- Incase palm jaggery is not available, use normal jaggery. The cake will still be delicious and healthy.
- Sprinkle the base with dermerara sugar (unrefined cane sugar) to get the golden top. Upside down cakes look really dull after baking, so this is my addition to make it look bright and cheerful 🙂
- Cinnamon powder is used twice, once in layering apple pieces and then in batter. Do not get confused!
- Any other oil, instead of sunflower oil, can be used. For example : vegetable oil, canola oil, coconut oil. I have made this with olive oil too.
- Leave the cake in tin(outside the oven) for 10 minutes after baking. Then invert it on a wire rack to cool down.
If you are looking for some more recipes, then try these –
I will see you with another bake soon.
Till then keep baking!