An old fashioned banana orange loaf in its healthy avatar!
A tea loaf is an English cake made with fruits and spices. Usually fruits are soaked in the tea or juice overnight. Here I haven’t used any tea so basically it’s a tea time loaf/cake.
This banana orange loaf loaf ticks all the check boxes of a healthy bake. Packed with goodness of banana and orange, it is made with wholemeal flour, ground oats and
What more one could ask in a healthy loaf!
wholemeal flour ✔️
Oats flour ✔️
chickpeas flour ✔️
coconut oil ✔️
And NO Eggs!!!
Usually if you try to bake a healthy cake or loaf, you tend to compromise on taste. But surprisingly this one came out really delicious. So without much jabbering, I am going to share this delicious recipe with you all. An experiment that was given thumbs up by all in family including both my kids.
How to make three grains banana orange loaf
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 35-40 minutes
Baking equipment used: 1 litre loaf tin
1 cup wholemeal flour (aata)
1/2 cup ground oats
1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 tbsp almond flakes + 2 tbsp more for sprinkling on top ( use any other nuts of your choice)
3 large ripe bananas
3 tbsp coconut oil(or any other oil) + extra for greasing the loaf tin
3 tbsp honey (or more as per taste)
Zest and juice of a big orange ( approx a tbsp zest and 1/2 cup freshly squeezed juice)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a 1 ltr loaf tin with oil and line the base with parchment paper. (This loaf can be made in a 7″ round cake tin too)
- Shift all the three flours with baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder. Do it three times. Add any bran that is left in the strainer. Add 2 tbsp almond flakes or any other chopped nuts.
- In another bowl, take peeled banana and mash it using a fork. Add oil, honey, orange zest and juice.
- Whisk them nicely.
- Now add dry ingredients mixing then nicely after each addition.
- Spoon the mixture in prepared tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle remaining almond flakes.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave it to cool down in the tin. Then slice and serve with tea or milk.
This recipe is to satisfy your craving without feeling guilty. Hope you will like it as much as we did. Cheers to the health!!
Do check other recipes too.