A tart is an open pastry case containing a sweet or savoury filling. Here the tart base has a nutty flavour of almond and coconut that goes very well with the flavour of mango.
You can skip mango here in the season of strawberries and convert this dessert into Strawberry cream tart. Or how about a Kiwi cream tart?
This Mango cream tart is really versatile and you can play with the ingredients as per your choice. You can use cream cheese too along with the cream and turn this into Mango cream cheese tart 😛
How to make mango cream tart
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: at least 60 minutes
Baking equipment: 9” tart pan
For tart base :
100 gram or 3/4 cup plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
60 gram or 1/4 cup (approx) butter, cold
75 gram or 1/2 cup almond flour
2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
Cold water to knead the dough
[1 cup = 250 ml]
For filling :
250 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoon sugar
Purée of one medium-sized mango (1/4 cup approx)
To decorate 3-4 mangoes and few cherries
- Sieve flour and salt together. Add sugar, diced butter, almond meal and desiccated coconut. Mix everything with your finger tips until mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle some water and mix the dough so that everything comes together.
- Make a big ball and roll it on a surface sprinkled with flour. Roll it into 11″ size round shape and put it on your tart pan gently. Be careful not to break the rolled dough.
- Take a small bowl and press it around the edges or simply use your finger tips to press the edges. Remove the extra bits from sides. Cover the whole thing with cling film and let it rest in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Take the tart pan out of the fridge and pierce the pie crust all over with the fork.
- Line the tart with baking parchment and put some dry beans. (I forgot to take pic of this step). This is called blind baking usually done for baking pie crust without any filling inside. This results in crisp crust and it doesn’t go soggy when you add moist filling in it.
- Bake it for 15 mins. Then take out the parchment paper and bake for further 10 mins or until the pie crust looks golden in colour.
- Keep it aside and start making the filling. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and mango purée and fold gently.
Assembling the tart :
Fill the pastry with Mango cream and decorate it with mango pieces and cherry.
For making rose shape on top, peel the mangoes carefully using a knife. Then take out the flesh from both sides of the stone. Cut the side pieces lengthwise to get nice even slices. Then start putting these slices on the tart starting from edges. Overlap the edges to make a rose pattern. Keep the tart in the fridge. Serve chilled!
Stepwise pics of making tart :
Hope you will enjoy this delicious dessert as much as we did!
Do like my Facebook page The Baking Sutra and subscribe to my blog to get every recipe from me straight into your inbox without any fail (and it’s FREE :-D)
Will see you shortly with another bake. Till then take care and keep baking!