Jingle bell jingle bell jingle all the way…O’ what fun is to eat an eggless n booze less cake ?????????
RICH FRUIT PLUM CAKE
I bake booze less Christmas cake every year as I am not very fond of boozy cakes and moreover I bake it for KIDS!!!
But last year I made an eggless one for a friend who was looking for an eggless recipe.
A rich fruit eggless & booze less plum cake which is flavourful and high with festive Spirit without adding any ‘spirit’ to it ?
This is not a traditional Christmas cake but it’s RICH, moist and full of FLAVOURS just like a Christmas cake should be!!
Christmas cakes are rich with fruits, spices and (of course) alcohol! Usually raising agents are not needed as they are not sponge cakes but I have used baking powder in this recipe because there’s NO EGG. Dry fruits are soaked in rum for months for the flavour but, for this cake pre soaking isn’t required as this is baked on a very low temperature that gives ample time for all the flavours to mingle. Let’s see how to make this!!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Baking time: 1 hr 50 mins – 2 hrs 15 mins
Baking equipment used: 8″ square tin (3″ high)
Can use 9″ round tin too
It may take less time to bake if you go for one size bigger cake tin but you will get a thinner cake.
- 300 gm or 2 cups plain flour/maida
- 1 cup melted butter/oil (I used oil)
- 1/2 tin or 200 gm condensed milk
- 150 gm or 1 cup brown sugar (or use unrefined sugar, churn it once in a mixer, if granulated. Do Not make powder)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 350 gm or 2-2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruits — I took mix of raisins, sultanas, currants, candied orange and lemon peel
- 50 gm or approx 1/2 cup nuts (cashew nuts or almonds)
- 4 Plum medium sized,deseeded and chopped finely or 1 cup chopped plum
- 2 tablespoon Orange marmalade + some more to brush on top of the baked cake
- Fresh juice and zest of 1 big Orange
(i.e. 1 teaspoon zest & 1/2 cup juice)
- Mixed spices – 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, dry ginger powder, clove powder and nutmeg powder each (you can use more or less depending on taste)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence optional
(P.S. 1 cup measures 250 ml)
Few blanched almonds and some glazed cherries . This is completely optional but I like the jewelled look ?
- Grease and line your cake tin. Put the parchment paper atleast 3″ higher than the tin so that the cake doesn’t get a crusty top.
- Soak the dried fruits and nuts in orange juice and keep aside.
- Now preheat the oven to 150 C.
- In a bowl sift the flour, spices and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, add oil and sugar and mix them nicely. Make sure there’s no lump in the sugar. Add condensed milk and mix all together.
- Add soaked fruit with the juice, zest of orange, chopped plum and marmalade. Mix nicely.
If you want you can use prunes instead of plum.
- Now add flour in 3-4 batches and mix evenly.
- Add essence if using. I did not!
- Put the batter in prepared tin starting from corner so that the parchment paper gets some weight to sit properly.
- Transfer all the batter in the tin. Decorate with blanched almonds and glazed cherries.
- Drop the tin from a height of 3-4 inches on the kitchen surface 1-2 times so that any trapped air bubbles will get released. Don’t drop the tin just a tip tap on the kitchen top.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven at 150 C till the aroma starts filling your kitchen and your nose give you the signal that it’s done ?? and a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Mine took around 2 hrs. Please do not open the oven door before an hour.
After an hour you can cover the pan loosely with aluminium foil so that the top is not over baked.
- Check it again after 45 mins. Time may vary according to the oven.
- Once done take it out of the oven and keep to cool on wire rack.
Brush some more orange marmalade when it’s still warm.
Let it cool down completely before cutting. Wrap in a cling film if you plan to cut it next day. The cake stays good at room temperature for about a week!
Enjoy the spirit of this festival without adding any ‘spirit’ in ur cake ☺️☺️
- Use 1/2 cup chopped prunes instead of plum.
- You can use grated carrot instead and enjoy the rich fruit carrot cake using the same recipe. Use 1 cup grated carrot.
- You can reduce the amount of dried fruits used as per your liking.
- Amount of spices can be adjusted too.
- Do not panic if the cake looks unbaked after 2 hours. (It happened to me today!) Just remove the foil and bake it for 10 more minutes or until you see a nice brown colour on top and skewer comes out clean.
- Make sure you do not over bake it. Keep checking after every 10 mins once the cake is in the oven for 1 hr 45 mins. It should be ready anytime after that.
Try it out and share your feedback either on my Facebook page or by leaving a comment here.
Have a lovely Christmas everyone!!
HO HO HO!! ????