Rasgulla flavoured EGGLESS ALMOND CAKE filled with rasgullas and frosted with vanilla whipped cream
In our culture, any occasion is celebrated with sweets – we offer sweets to God and we distribute sweets among friends and family. Every time whenever there is a birthday in the family, while everyone asks me what cake I am making, my mum asks if I have made kheer (Indian rice pudding) or not or have I offered any sweets to God or not? Keeping this in my mind, I thought of making a fusion cake with rasgullas for a cake baking competition in a food group on Facebook. I am delighted to share that I won
Here’s how I did it!!
How to make Rasgulla flavoured eggless Almond cake
Either use ready made rasgulla or homemade ones. I made it at home.
Ingredients for 12 rasgullas:
(we need only 6 -7 for the cake)
- 1 litre skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice mixed in 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 green cardamom
- Few drops of rose water
- Few strands of saffron for decoration
To make rasgullas:
Heat milk in a deep bottom pan. When it comes to a boil, add diluted lemon juice to separate the whey.
I dilute the lemon juice so that there is no sourness in the Chhena.
The milk will curdle straightaway. Switch off the gas and strain out the Chhena in a strainer lined with muslin cloth. Make a potli and wash it under running water for couple of times then hang it for atleast an hour so that all the excess water is drained out.
After an hour in a big cooker or vessel , add water, sugar and green cardamom and switch on the gas to medium. Take out the Chhena from the cloth and mash it nicely with your palm. Mash with gentle pressure for 4-5 minutes or until all the chhena comes together and can easily rolled into balls. Meanwhile, your sugar syrup will start boiling. Switch the flame to low and make small balls with the Chhena . You will be able to make 12 balls. Make sure there isn’t any crack on the surface. Add all the balls in the sugar syrup and switch the flame to high. Put the lid on without any whistle. Let this boil for 8-10 minutes. Switch off the gas and leave the cooker unopened for an hour. Once cooled down, transfer the rasgullas to a bowl, add rose water(optional), garnish with saffron strands and refrigerate till use.
Tip : always use semi skimmed milk for better spongy rasgullas
For Eggless Almond Cake:
Delicious, moist and full of nutty flavour!
Let me know if you don’t fall in love with this cake ❤️
- 150 gram or 1 cup plain flour
- 50 gram or 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda bicarb
- 75 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 200 gram or half tin sweetened condensed milk
- Few drops (7-8 drops) almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk at room temperature
[* 1 cup = 250 ml]
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/160 degrees C fan-assisted/350 F/gas 4.
- Grease and line a 7 inch cake tin and keep aside.
- Sift both the flour with baking powder and soda three times in a bowl. Do not throw away any big pieces of almond left in the strainer. Just tip it into the flour mix.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together using electric mixer. You can do this with your hands too using a wooden spoon.
- Add condensed milk and almond extract and mix properly. Now add shifted flour and milk alternatively in three batches and mix everything nicely with gentle hands.
- Do NOT over mix.
- Now transfer the batter into the tin and tap it once onto the kitchen surface to release any air bubble trapped.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cake starts leaving the sides of the tin and the skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. I baked mine for about 38 minutes but time will vary according to the oven.
Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then invert it onto a rack to cool down completely. It may take an hour for the cake to come down at room temperature.
Stepwise pics :
For frosting (cover the cake) :
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For piping (decorate the cake) :
- 200 ml whipping cream (or less amount if you don’t want to use much)
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops of food colour as per decoration you want (I used ice blue colour and red)
- Few piping bags and nozzle for decoration ( I have used nozzle 2D, 104 big one and 104 small one to make these pattern)
- Some sugar pearls to decorate
( 300 ml whipping cream : 3 tablespoon icing sugar : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract is an ideal ratio for the whipped cream)
For frosting, beat the cream using an electric mixer until thickened.
Make sure the bowl, cream and attachment of the mixer are all chilled.
Add sugar and extract and beat until soft peak forms. For piping also, beat the cream in separate bowl and add different colours to them and divide them in different piping bags.
To assemble :
- Cut the cooled cake horizontally into two.
- Brush the rasgulla syrup all over the cake.
- Now spread some frosting on the lower part.
- Cut the rasgulla pieces into 2 and spread them over the cream.
- I used 6 rasgullas.
- Top it with more cream and put the top layer of the cake.
- Add some whipped cream on the cake and do the crumb coat that is the first layer of the frosting where you try to cover and smoothen the cake surface with frosting.
- After crumb coating keep the cake in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Stepwise pics :
- After 10 minutes take out the cake and put second layer of frosting.
- With a metal spatula, smoothen all the sides.
- Decorate your cake with whatever pattern you like. Decorate with sugar pearls. Put a rasgulla on the top garnished with saffron.
The fusion cake is ready for the celebration! I made this almond cake with buttercream frosting on my husband’s birthday. Tried my hands on the sugar paste flower for the first time and it turned out gorgeous.
I will try to do a separate post on how to make these flowers. Meantime, you bake this delicious cake and relish. This cake can be made with wholemeal flour (aata) too incase you want to go for a little healthier version. Just add an extra tbsp or 2 of milk to correct the consistency. Try it out and share you feedback on my Facebook page.
I am happy to see so many of you tried the healthy Three grains banana and orange loaf and loved it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy eggless lemon cake has the max view till date and has been loved by many too.
As Christmas approaching, I will see you all soon with some festive bakes. Till then happy baking!!