How to make Eggless extra dark chocolate cake frosted with chocolate mousse.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30-35 minutes
Baking equipment used: 8″ cake tin
Easy to make, this spongy eggless dark chocolate cake is perfectly moist, filled with chocolate mousse and covered with chocolate ganache.
For CAKE :
1 & 1/4 cup all purpose flour/plain flour
1 cup powdered sugar (I have used brown sugar but you can use any)
1/3 cup & 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon coffee powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 generous pinches salt
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk ( and 2-3 tablespoon more if needed)
[1 cup = 250 ml]
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 fan-assisted/350 F/gas 4.
- Grease and line your cake tin.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, coffee powder and salt & keep aside.
- In another bowl add oil, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix .
- Now mix the dry ingredients to this oil and sugar mixture in batches until there are no lumps, keep adding milk in between little by little at a time.
- Add vinegar to the batter and mix with light hands.
- Immediately pour the batter into a prepared cake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring it onto a platter.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Take 1 cup of whipped cream and 1/2 Cup of dark chocolate. Melt chocolate in a double boiler, pour some whipped cream over melted chocolate and fold gently.
Repeat the process till done, put the mousse in the fridge to set.
(See my post of mocha finger cookies dipped in dark chocolate to know how to use double boiler.)
For CHOCOLATE GANACHE :
- Take 1 cup chopped dark chocolate and melt it in double boiler.
- Mix it with 1/2 cup fresh cream and 2-3 tablespoon warm milk. (I used Amul cream)
- Add 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence to it.
- Let it sit for 5 mins.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE :
- Allow your cake to cool completely before assembling. Cut the cake horizontally into three parts .
- Put one part on a plate and moist it with sugar syrup. Now spread the chocolate mousse and put the other part on it. Moist the other parts with sugar syrup too .
- Spread another layer of chocolate mousse on it. Now put the last slice and cover the cake with a layer of frosting all over and keep the cake in the fridge for an hour.
- Take out the cake and pour the ganache over the cake and cover it fully.
- Put back in the fridge to set. After sometime take it out and decorate the cake as per your choice.
- Here I have decorated it with melted white chocolate. Just made some criss cross pattern with it.
- Fill your icing bag with some chocolate ganache and make border at the sides of the cake.
- Place some strawberries dipped in the dark chocolate on the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle some silver balls (my favourite) and allow to set the cake for a little while.
- Cut the slices and enjoy the yummy treat with your loved ones.
Step by step guide :
I hope you will enjoy making and relishing this cake. Do not forget to share your feedback on my Facebook page The Baking Sutra. You can subscribe to my blog by providing your email id so that recipes of all these yummy treat is delivered straight to your inbox and it’s FREE.
If you are looking for options then have a look at
If you are looking for some healthy treat then try
Another hearty and healthy bake is Three grains banana orange loaf.
Honey iced coffee cake is perfect if you are looking for some indulgence 🙂
Will see you shortly with more bakes.