Easy-peasy lemon squeezy EGGLESS LEMON CAKE
Easy to prepare-lemony-luscious-zingy this cake can fit into all adjectives. Perfect to serve at tea time or for any small get together and can grab attention at any parties too. This cake can be prepared in no time with easily available ingredients
So let’s bake!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Baking time: 30 – 40 mins
Baking equipment used: 7″ round cake tin or small loaf tin
185 gm or 1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup oil
100gm or 1/2 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup yoghurt
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For drizzle :
4 tablespoon icing sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and dust cake or loaf tin and keep aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together 2-3 times and keep aside.
- In a dry and clean bowl, add oil and sugar and mix them together. Then add yoghurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest. (For lemon zest grate the yellow part of lemon skin. Remember not to use white part as it will turn the taste bitter.)
- Mix everything together until you see a uniform mix, Now add sieved flour in 2-3 batches. Mix with cut and fold method i.e. writing a horizontal eight (8). DO NOT OVER MIX. Add lemon juice. Mix gently 2-3 times.
- Drop the batter into the prepared tin. Tap the tin once on your kitchen counter to release any air bubble. Bake it in a preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
- let the cake cool down for 15 minutes in the tin, then take it out on a wire rack or on a plate. Let it cool down to room temperature.
Once the cake is cooled completely, add icing sugar and lemon juice in a cup and mix them together to form a runny syrup. Drizzle it over the cake and let the syrup sip into the pores of the cake. Slice the cake and enjoy the deliciousness ??
This cake can be enjoyed on its own but the drizzle add that extra zing which takes the whole thing to another level.
Tips & tricks :
- You can use this recipe to make cupcakes too. It will yield 12 cupcakes. Reduce the baking time to 20-25 minutes in that case.
- Use Greek yoghurt or any yoghurt made with full fat milk. Thin consistency of the yoghurt can change the texture of cake.
- Use the yoghurt at room temperature.
- This recipe is perfect for all those who are new to baking and have never baked any cake. So do not do anything extra other than stated. Simply put everything together, mix and bake. No expertise needed!
- The cake tastes awesome when it’s fresh though you can store it at room temperature for 3 days. However the crust can go soft because of the drizzle.
So try it out and share your experience. I am not able to attach step wise pics so if you need any help at any point give me a shout. Either leave a comment or drop me an email or visit my page on FB!
Get set bake!