These crackers are kids absolute favourite. A favourite snack when contains the goodness of sharp cheddar cheese and tiny little poppy seeds, it becomes a mum’s favourite too. These are soft, full of cheesy flavour and easy to make.
So what are you waiting for? Just grab your apron, gather your ingredients
I have adapted the recipe of Ruby Tandoh, The Great British bake off contestant. She uses blue Stilton cheese in her recipe. I replaced it with cheddar cheese. So let’s move on to the recipe.
How to make cheddar and poppy seeds cracker
Preparation time: 20 min
Baking time: 12-15 min
Baking apparatus: a large baking tray
Makes 18-24 crackers
200 gm or 1 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
100 gm or 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
100 gm or 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Big pinch of salt (depends on how salty cheese is. Can add 1/4 tsp salt if using very low salt cheese)
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1-2 tbsp cold water
- Take flour, butter and salt in a large bowl. Rub them using your finger tips.
- Add in the cheese and lightly rub this too until mixed properly.
- Add the poppy seeds and drizzle over the water. Everything will come together. If there is more dry flour then add few more drops of water.
- Bring the dough together and form a big ball. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 15 minutes. If you chill it for longer time then keep the dough on room temperature for sometime before using it.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of approx 3 mm on a lightly floured surface. It’ll be a little crumbly but try to press from sides and keep the rolled dough together. Cut into rectangle shape and arrange on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 mins or until crackers are golden brown at the edges and at the bottom.
- Cool completely to store in an airtight container.
Let me know how it turns out. I had to bake 2 batches to get to know the correct amount of salt with different brands of cheese. Use any other cheese but not mozzarella. Play with the ingredients and add any other spice if you want. Go for smoked paprika or pepper powder or cumin seeds or caraway seeds. Add any dried herb of your choice. The options are endless. Try it out and share your feedback.