“Nothing could be more comforting than a bowl of warm baked rice pudding in a chilly winter night.”
With minimum ingredients and less effort, this baked rice pudding (kheer) is perfect if you want to treat yourself but too lazy to cook. Or you are occupied with loads of work and don’t have time to cook dessert for a get together. You don’t really have to stand in the kitchen to prepare rice pudding (kheer) now. Just follow this recipe and relish the pudding.
You may add any other flavour if you want. Dates can be replaced too with other dry fruits of your choice.
Here’s the recipe for this rustic and creamy baked rice pudding with dates.
How to make baked rice pudding with dates
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 1.5 – 2 hours
Baking equipment used: a big oven-proof dish
Makes for 5-6 servings
100 gram or 1/2 cup rice
100 gram or 16-18 dates, chopped finely
100 gram or 1/2 cup raw cane sugar or dermerara sugar*
250 ml or 1 cup cream*
1 litre or 4 cups milk
(*you can use any other sugar but unrefined sugar is better than white sugar and gives a rustic look and taste to the pudding)
(*you can reduce the cream quantity to half cup. It would still tastes nice. But 1 cup cream gives extra creaminess)
- Wash and soak rice in the water meanwhile you preheat the oven at 150 C/ 130 C fan assisted/ 300 F/ gas mark 2.
- Put all the ingredients in a large oven proof dish making sure it doesn’t fill more than 2/3rd of the dish.
- Stir the mix and keep this dish on an oven tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 1.5-2 hours or until done, stirring after every 30 minutes.
- Mine takes exact 1 hour 30 minutes. Time may vary according to the oven and amount of cream used. You can bake it till the desired consistency is achieved.
The recipe is quite simple, isn’t it?
You have to take everything half-half cup with a litre of milk and just bake it in the oven. No long list of ingredients, no work to be done! If you want to omit cream you can do so. Just add more milk for that creaminess. After all it’s a pudding. right?
- Baking time will vary according to the amount of cream used.
- Sweetness of the pudding depends on how sweet your dates are.
- Incase your pudding gets dried after baking, just add little warm milk to loosen the consistency.
- This is a mild sweet pudding. If you want to make it sweeter, add more sugar while the pudding is still hot!
Enjoy this creamy and delicious pudding either warm or cold. Either way, it’s delicious!
Do try and share your feedback on my facebook page The Baking Sutra.